Volunteers mainly get involved in Teaching English to the students and helping them in improving their vocabulary and spoken English skills. Although English is an important language in India and is spoken widely, volunteers find that the conversational and vocabulary skills of the students in these area needs a lot of improvement and learning support. Having good English language skills is very important for the students as it plays an important role in getting good jobs in different parts of the country.
This is a great platform for volunteers to gain invaluable international work experience, that can help dearly in boosting their career prospects. Volunteers will teach for approximately 4-5 hours per day, five days a week. In this program, volunteers can work by themselves or alongside other teachers and volunteers. Volunteers are encouraged to use new and innovative teaching methods and teach in a play way method which would make the subject more interesting for the students.
Volunteer tasks under the Teaching Program in India, Kerala
Typical volunteer activities under the teaching volunteering program in India include;
- Assist the teachers in teaching the class as per designed syllabus.
- Teaching Conversational English to students.
- Assisting in other subjects such as computer teaching, sports, crafts, etc.
- Sharing new ideas with the students and exchanging their views on different topics.
- Creating a playful environment and enhance the creativity of the children through painting, playing games, singing, etc.
Teaching Program Schedule
Volunteers joining the teaching volunteer program in India, Kerala, are required to follow a basic routine on a daily basis. This covers everything from meals to volunteer work and back. It must be noted that every placement functions at a different pace and on separate time-lines making the schedule slightly differ at times. A generic daily schedule for volunteers is as follows;
- Sunday: Arrival in Kochi and pickup from Cochin International Airport
- Monday: Orientation + neighbourhood familiarization tour. Orientation session will be conducted by the local coordinator, covering topic areas; such as placement information, safety, local customs, language, places to visit, food, and other suggestion over things to do in Kochi.
- Tue to Fri: Volunteer work (Our local coordinator will accompany you on the first day to the placement to familiarize you with the commuting and introduce you to the placement staff).
- Breakfast - 07:00 am to 08:30 am
- Leave the accommodation - Around 09:30 am -10:00 am
- Working hours at the placement - 10 :30 to 12:00 and 02:00 pm to 04:00 pm (the timings may differ as per the placement).
- Lunch - anywhere between 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm (volunteers have to manage lunch on their own expense)
- Dinner - 06:30 pm to 08:00 pm
The same volunteer work schedule continues from the second week onwards
Weekends: Volunteers have some of the best getaway options from Fort Kochi; and activities to indulge over the weekends; including backwaters of Alleppey-Kumarakom, hills and tea plantations in Munnar, Spice plantations and wildlife in Thekkady, beautiful beaches in Kovalam, Ayurveda and Yoga and much more.
(No meals are provided over the weekends, as volunteers are encouraged to try the local cuisines.)
Note: Please note, the schedule may vary depending on the particular project the volunteer is participating in
India Program Booking
Volunteering Solutions India Reviews
I liked staying in the volunteer houses, it made it easy to get to know everyone, interacting with volunteers from different parts of the world is fun..
I really enjoyed my time on this trip whether it's volunteering with children in Delhi or working at the elephant village in Jaipur. .
I think we can learn a lot about Hinduism even though we are people with a different religion, we are still friendly welcomed in all the temples to join the ceremony..
I liked meeting new friends and seeing new things. Especially liked the light and fountain show and Chokhi Dhani village person and elephants..
It is great to get to know so many people from all over the world. Even if we know each other only for some days or weeks it feels like we have been friends for ages..
Being in the OT and getting to see surgery are the highlight of my volunteering experience. These are procedures I wouldn't have access to back home..
Volunteering in the slums in Delhi, experiencing Indian culture including food, dress and traditions are few of my favorite moments from the whole India trip. .
Visiting the Taj Mahal and Marble Factory in Agra, witnessing tea plantation in Palampur and working with Elephants in Jaipur are few of my favorite moments..
I loved the trip, really has opened up my life to India. It shows how good a country is. I will definitely come back to India after falling in love with the country..
I really enjoyed playing with kids, teaching them, hanging out with other volunteers and learning more about the culture difference..
I absolutely recommend this program. It has been a real eye opener. I learned a great deal about Indian culture and myself!.
What makes this experience unforgettable is the kids. Also the different culture and the great people you meet from another part of the world. .
The in-country staff was very accommodating and helpful. The kids and the placement were the best part of this trip..
The food was delicious. It was a great taste of Indian culture. The accommodation was clean and tidy, very nice..
I made a very nice connection with the girls at the orphanage and still keep in touch with them via email. .
The kids were so cute and eager to learn. They loved having fun and were respectful. I will never forget them, and I am grateful .
The kids for sure the highlight of my trip. Their bright faces and love and energy will be in my memory forever. I wish I could bring them all home..
I really liked the different way of everyday life of Indian people. I enjoyed and admired the spectacular moments of India as well as the Indian culture..
I am so blessed to have been able to have this opportunity. The street children placement was perfect!.
Spending time with the women and staff at the centre is the highlight of my trip, now I have a full heart and a permanent smile..
Kerala - India Program Cost