Volunteer tasks under the Teaching Program in Sri Lanka
?Given the crunch condition of these schools, volunteers will be providing valuable and important support to teachers. Volunteer duties in the program depend on the participants experience and skill level. Some of the activities volunteers are supposed to perform under this program includes;
- Help the teachers with the running of various classes such as art, music, drama, English, wood work, and/or home economics.
- Help the young adults with vocational training which will help them to become self-sustained.
- Provide extra lessons for those students who are not very confident in class or need a little extra help with homework.
- Native English speaking volunteers are needed to work alongside local teachers to teach English or other subjects.
- Conduct classes by your own or help assisting teachers.
- Working with small groups of children
- Making the teacher student sessions more interactive, engaging and challenging.
Teaching Volunteers Schedule
A generic day to day routine of volunteers joining teaching program in Sri Lanka includes;
- Sunday - Arrival in Sri Lanka
- Monday - Orientation + Start with the program. Orientation session will be conducted by the local coordinator, covering topic areas; such as safety, culture, language, places to visit, behaviour, food, and other suggestion over things to do in Sri Lanka.
- Tue to Fri - Volunteer Work
- Breakfast - 07:30 am onwards
- Working hours at the placement - 08:30 am to 12:00 noon or 01:00 pm to 04:00 pm (volunteers either work in the first half or the second half of the day, depending on the requirement. Check with your local coordinator for the same).
- Lunch - 12:30 pm onwards
- Dinner - 07:00 pm onwards.
Weekends : Free to explore the city (no meals are provided over the weekends and
volunteers are encouraged to experience the local cuisine.)
Note: Please note, the schedule may vary depending on the particular project the volunteer is participating in.
Sri Lanka Program Booking
Volunteering Solutions Sri Lanka Reviews
The mahouts were so sweet and fun. It was a pleasure to see that they really cared about elephants and that they liked their job and the volunteers. .
I felt my efforts get appreciated, the kids were always really happy to see me. So were the teachers..
Sri Lanka - Colombo Program Cost