In the Philippines, English is taught from grade one and most classes are conducted in English. Since students are also required to also learn Filipino, the national language, learning English is an arduous task for them. Most rural classes are overcrowded and lack sufficient textbooks and teaching material. The poverty rate is especially high in rural areas of Leyte, resulting in a number of parents not sending their children to school for financial reasons. Many of the children who attend school do not have adequate school supplies. But the children are eager students who especially welcome the opportunity to be taught by a foreign teacher.
Volunteer tasks under the teaching program in Philippines
Given the poor condition of the rural elementary schools, volunteers will be providing valuable and important support to teachers. Volunteer duties in the program depend on the participants experience and skill level. Some of the activities volunteers are supposed to perform under this program includes;
- Assist in conducting classes mainly in English and additionally Science and Math for others.
- Native English speaking volunteers are needed to work alongside local teachers to teach English or other subjects.
- Conduct classes by your own or help assisting teachers.
- Working with small groups of children
- Making the teacher student sessions more interactive, engaging and challenging.
Teaching volunteer program schedule
Volunteers joining teaching volunteer program in Philippines will be accommodated with a host family in Tacloban city. The accommodation facility is in close distance vicinity to the program placement. A typical volunteer schedule under this program is as follows;
- Sunday - Arrival
- Monday - Orientation. Orientation session will be conducted by the local coordinator, covering topic areas; such as safety, culture, language, places to visit, behaviour, food, another suggestion over things to do in Philippines.
- Tuesday to Friday - Volunteer Work
- Breakfast - 6:00 am
- Volunteer work - 08:00 am to 12:00 pm and 01:30 pm to 04:00 pm
- Lunch - 12:00 pm to 01:00 pm (volunteers need to arrange lunch at own cost. They can choose to go home and cook for lunch or can buy a meal at any of the nearest food joints.)
- Dinner - 06:00 pm onwards
Weekends - Free to explore the city
Note: Please note, the schedule may vary depending on the particular project the volunteer is participating on.
Philippines Program Booking
Volunteering Solutions Philippines Reviews
It's funny because you go into volunteering expecting to give, but in the end, you get more out of it than you could ever imagine..
At school the kids were so nice and so lovely, they relly enjoy having foreigners as teachers and they even make sure that one perceives their affection..
This volunteering experience was so rewarding and opened my eyes to the world around me. This opportunity has given me a new perspective and I felt like I was able to truly make a difference in the lives of those I worked with. .
For sure! I'm really glad to participate in the program. Teachers were very kind with us as well as the students. This was the opportunity I was looking for..
Philippines Program Cost