The Healthcare Medical Internship Program in Nepal is an ideal platform for overseas students from pre-med, medical, and nursing background. Students joining this program will be placed at local hospitals, both private and government, and medical clinics. The interns will be put under the guidance of professional doctors and nursing staff where they will get to observe and learn about the medical practices in Nepal. This will provide an immense boost to the medical career of the interns while giving an edge to them from their peers back in college.
Medical interns will be paired with local doctors and nurses where they get hands-on clinical experience and get to observe the health care system in Nepal. The Healthcare Program is ideally suited for Pre-medical and medical students who need to gain valuable experience which will be beneficial for their medical career.
Interns must be 18 years or older at the time of joining the internship. As an intern, you should have an open mind and flexible attitude for working in a new and different environment. Medical interns must provide a clean criminal background check report, CV, Passport Copy as well as other documents and credentials pertaining to their qualifications prior to joining the program. Pre Med, Medical, Nursing students and CNA’s can join the program. All students must adhere to professional attire while at the hospitals.
Intern Roles & Responsibilities
- Depending on skills, assist with procedures like suturing wounds, giving vaccinations, etc.
- Shadow the Doctors on critical surgeries and operations.
- Being involved in the daily procedures of the hospital.
- Conducting hospital rounds with the doctors.
- Maintaining files.
- Routine patient check-ups like measure Blood pressure, check fever.
Intern Work Schedule
Volunteers joining the medical internship program in Nepal will be accommodated with a host family or at a volunteer house. Both the arrangements are located close to the placement facility and are provided with meals. A typical schedule while volunteering in Nepal goes like;
Sunday - Arrival in Kathmandu
- Monday - Orientation session by the local coordinator covering topic areas; such
- as safety, culture, language, places to visit, behavior, food, and more. This will be followed by a visit to the placement facility in the company of the local coordinator to get introduced to the placement and the Inmates.
- Tuesday to Friday - Volunteer work
- Breakfast - 08:00 am onwards
- Volunteer at placement - 09:00 am to 12:30 pm and 02:00 pm to 05:00 pm
- Lunch - 01:00 pm (will be provided at the accommodation)
- Dinner - 07:00 pm
- Weekends - Free to explore the city (Lunch is not provided on Fri/Sat/Sunday)
The same volunteer work schedule continues from the second week onwards
Note: Please note, the schedule may vary depending on the particular project the volunteer is participating on.
Airport Receive/ Transfer
Volunteers are picked up from the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu by the local staff or coordinator. Those volunteers who will be already in Nepal will be met by the staff at a designated meeting point decided beforehand.
AccommodationAccommodation is provided on a shared basis in a local Nepalese family home or at our volunteers house. Depending on the availability you would be assigned your accommodation. Both the home stay accommodations and Volunteers house are neat and provide a comfortable stay during your volunteering period in Nepal. All accommodations have running water, electricity and all basic amenities available. Both accommodations have hot water showers for winters and wifi internet available. Occasionally volunteers are also accommodated in Guest house accommodations.
A half day orientation will be provided by our staff. We cover areas like, culture, greetings, locations, transportation etc. Start your volunteering experience by taking the 1 week Language & Culture Orientation week in Kathmandu.
Meals2 or 3 Nepalese meals will be provided to all volunteers depending on your work schedule. Breakfast typically consists of Bread, Butter, Jam, Sandwich, Tea etc. Typical meals provided include Dal (Lentils), Rice , Vegetables , Chicken and meat etc.
Please Note: -An application fee of $199 is charged over and above the program fee as an application payment. (A 4% international banking fee is charged at the time of payment) Please Note: -An application fee of £149 is charged over and above the program fee as an application payment. (A 4% international banking fee is charged at the time of payment) Please Note: -An application fee of $259 is charged over and above the program fee as an application payment. (A 4% international banking fee is charged at the time of payment) Please Note: -An application fee of €169 is charged over and above the program fee as an application payment. (A 4% international banking fee is charged at the time of payment)
What are you Paying for?
- 24 hrs Assistance and support from staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Pick up from the airport
- Food (2-3 times a day)
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
- Certificate Of Completion (Upon Request)
What's NOT included?
- Return Trip to Airport (Can be arranged at extra cost)
- Local Transportation
- Visa Fees